Personal Property & Insurance

MIT assumes no responsibility for loss or damage to personal property. This includes, but is not limited to, loss by fire, theft, unexplained disappearance, spoilage, water, vandalism, malfunction of electrical or mechanical systems, or any other hazards. Residents acknowledge and agree that personal property insurance will be the sole means to recover for such losses.  Residents are strongly encouraged to obtain insurance to cover personal property if the homeowner's insurance carried by a resident's parent/guardian does not cover their property. Residents who choose not to procure personal property insurance do so at their own risk.  MIT also recommends that residents keep all housing unit windows and doors locked at all times. It is the resident’s responsibility to secure personal property during vacation periods and any belongings left behind during such periods are, and remain, the sole responsibility of the resident.

MIT may remove, dispose of, or destroy, and will not be responsible for, any personal property not removed from student housing within 48 hours after the termination of the Graduate License Agreement or Housing and Dining Agreement, including, without limitation, early termination due to withdrawal, expulsion, or violation of MIT policies.

Note: Students interested in purchasing renter's insurance may find more information at