Learn By Doing
The MIT Hobby Shop is a fully-equipped wood and metal shop that teaches students the art of thoughtful design.
The Hobby Shop has fostered MIT’s spirit of learning by doing for over seventy nine years by providing tools, training, and assistance to all MIT students, faculty, staff, and alums interested in turning their ideas into reality.
The Hobby Shop Covid 19 Schedule: Monday thru Thursday 10 - 6 and Fridays 1:00 - 6:00
The Hobby Shop machine shop area will start to open for Phase Two Research projects starting Monday, July 6th. We will offer scheduled shop usage Monday thru Friday.
In order to access the Hobby Shop you will first need to follow MIT Covid 19 protocols: https://covid19.mit.edu/returning-to-work-on-campus.
- We will be scheduling times on the machinery and tooling, there are no drop in or open access hours at this time.
- You will have to wear your own face covering and eye protection before entering the shop.
- Optional: Please bring your own hearing protection if needed. We can no longer offer loaner pairs
- Please bring your own latex or nitrile gloves. We have a limited supply of protective gloves if needed.
- You will need to participate in a 5 minute review of old and new cleaning/ disinfecting protocols for the Hobby Shop when returning to the Hobby Shop.
- New Hobby Shop memberships are restricted to Research projects at this time. Please email us for details and scheduling options.
Micro Jet and Fusion 360 classes
OMAX Micro Jet Class -
Fusion 360 Cam Class -
Where are we?
W31-031. Our entrance door is near the corner of Massachusetts Ave and Vassar St.. Come down the hall and dial the call box 3-4343.