The MIT Hobby Shop is a fully-equipped wood and metal shop that teaches students the art of thoughtful design.
The Hobby Shop has fostered MIT’s spirit of learning by doing for over 80 years by providing tools, training, and assistance to all MIT students, faculty, staff, and alums interested in turning their ideas into reality.
"The Hobby Shop will be moving to N52 this coming June (the ground floor of the old MIT Museum Space) Spring memberships term will be shortened"
Orientations for the Hobby Shop start February 2, 2022. Wednesdays 1:00 - 2:00 and Fridays 3:00 - 4:00. Please email us in order to receive a invitation to join our online scheduling service, Clustermarket's Bookkit
*You must have a MIT Covid Pass in order to join the Hobby Shop
There is a multi-step process for gaining access to the Hobby Shop this term
Step 1: CovidPass and Building Access
- You must have a MIT CovidPass in order to use the Hobby Shop
- We are open for students, staff and faculty that would like to gain access for recreational, extracurricular projects, research work and for academic classes.
- Pre-exhisting Hobby Shop members who do not have Covid Pass but are vacinated may be granted limited access on a case by case basis. Please email us for clarification.
Step 2: Bookkit Reservation
- All access to the Hobby Shop must be scheduled on Bookkit.
- Email Hayami: firstname.lastname@example.org to request Bookkit invitation
Step 3: Orientation - In person
- All new Hobby Shop members must attend one of our scheduled orientation sessions.
Questions: Email Hayami: email@example.com
Where are we?
W31-031. Our entrance door is near the corner of Massachusetts Ave and Vassar St.. Come down the hall and dial the call box 3-4343.