Learn By Doing
The MIT Hobby Shop is a fully-equipped wood and metal shop that teaches students the art of thoughtful design.
The Hobby Shop has fostered MIT’s spirit of learning by doing for over seventy nine years by providing tools, training, and assistance to all MIT students, faculty, staff, and alums interested in turning their ideas into reality.
The Hobby Shop - Spring 2021
New Membership Orientations will start February 8th, 2021. Limited to 4 people per session. This is a In-Person orientation, not a Zoom call
*There is paperwork for you to download and fill out in the: Become a Member section before you arrive a a orientation session
To be invited to sign up for an Orientation through our online scheduling service, Bookkit, please email Coby: email@example.com
In order to access the Hobby Shop you will first need to follow MIT Covid 19 protocols and have a up to date Covid Pass and Attestation
The Hobby Shop will be accessible to On Campus Students, Staff and Faculty only for the Fall term.
Returning members please read:
- We will be scheduling times on the machinery and tooling through our online scheduling service, Bookkit. Please email us so we can invite you to join. There are no drop in or open access hours at this time.
- You will need to wear your own face covering and eye protection before entering the shop.
- Optional: Please bring your own hearing protection if needed. We can no longer offer loaner pairs
- Please bring your own latex or nitrile gloves. We have a limited supply of protective gloves if needed.
- 5 minute review of old and new cleaning/ disinfecting protocols for the Hobby Shop when returning to the Hobby Shop.
Micro Jet and Fusion 360 classes
OMAX Micro Jet Class -
Fusion 360 Cam Class -
Where are we?
W31-031. Our entrance door is near the corner of Massachusetts Ave and Vassar St.. Come down the hall and dial the call box 3-4343.