Housing for Visitors
Are you visiting MIT as a postdoc, researcher, or cross-registered student?
While on-campus graduate housing is prioritized for members of the MIT graduate student community, visitors, postdocs, affiliates and cross-registered students who are seeking to live in on-campus graduate housing may also select on-campus housing through a "Self-Selection" process, subject to housing availability. Visitors may also sublicense a room from a current resident during the summer or Independent Activities Period (IAP) breaks.
Who is eligible for on-campus housing?
- cross-registered, special, and visiting students
- postdocs and researchers
- visiting professors and lecturers
Alumni, families of students, Draper, Broad, and Whitehead employees are NOT eligible for on-campus housing.
What you should know about on-campus housing for visitors?
- Family housing is extremely limited and the likelihood of finding an available apartment is low. If you select an apartment in family housing, you must submit your proof-of-family documentation once you sign your license agreement.
- Have your appointment letter ready as you will need to upload it for your housing application
- Termination and cancellation policies are the same for students and visitors.
- The off-campus housing website has rental and short-term listings, as well as information on the surrounding communities. (You must have an MIT ID to access the site.)
How to Select Housing
Self-Selection is the process used to select graduate housing at MIT within the Housing Portal (MIT credentials or certificates required). During the housing selection period, prospective residents are able to view all available housing units and to select their desired unit. This process enables students to select their exact unit within their preferred building and to confirm their housing assignment in one, easy-to-navigate process. Self-Selection typically occurs in the spring through early fall for the fall semester housing, and it opens again in late fall through mid-winter for students seeking housing starting during the spring semester. Please note that the opening date for the process is different for students than visitors.
We encourage you to explore the various on-campus housing options prior to participating in Self-Selection. This will help you identify which buildings and units you'd like to select from when reviewing the available housing options. Our FAQ page also contains helpful information that may be of interest to you.