A full listing of food resources is available on the Division of Student Life website. MIT wants to ensure that no student is struggling with food security, and we have established several resources that can help you easily access food. If you are struggling at all with accessing food, graduate students should contact GradSupport or Graduate Residential Life. All students can also reach out to the Accessing Resources MIT (ARM) Coalition whose mission is to alleviate financial hardship by connecting students to campus resources.
MIT also provides a free Grocery Shuttle. The shuttle stops at Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Target. For more information, including days and hours of service, please visit the MIT Parking & Transportation website.
Please find food delivery services and nearby grocery locations listed below. Many markets offer order-ahead and delivery services so please visit their websites to learn more.
- Daily Table
- 684 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA | (617) 945-1924
- Trader Joe’s
- 748 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA | Tel. (617) 491-8582
- Whole Foods
- 340 River Street, Cambridge, MA 02139 | Tel. (617) 876-6990
- 115 Prospect Street, Cambridge, MA 02139 | Tel. (617) 492-0070
- 181 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114 | (617) 723-0004
- Market Basket
- 400 Somerville Avenue, Somerville, MA | Tel. (617) 666-2420
- 14 McGrath Highway, Somerville, MA 02143 | Tel. (617) 625-4070
- 370 Western Avenue, Boston, MA 02135 | Tel. (617) 787-5266
- BJ's Club (wholesale quantities, membership required)
- 278 Middlesex Avenue, Medford, MA | Tel. (781) 396-0235 or (800) BJS-CLUB
- 2 Mystic View Road, Everett, MA 02149 | Tel. (617) 544-4806
Child Care Information
Health & Dental Insurance
**Please note that health insurance is required for all residents of Massachusetts. Dental insurance is considered separate from health insurance and is thus not required in order to fulfill the health insurance requirement of Massachusetts.**
MIT Student Health Insurance
All MIT students are automatically enrolled in the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan. Students are able to include their dependents or choose a different provider; however, if you do not wish to stay enrolled in the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan you will need to complete a waiver. For those selecting to remain with the MIT Insurance, your medical services are provided by MIT Medical, located on the east end of campus. MIT Medical includes pediatrics, OB/GYN, Mental Health, general practitioners, and an on-site pharmacy. For more information regarding the MIT Student Health Plan, including how to enroll or to fill out a waiver, go to this website.
Graduate Student Dental Insurance
Graduate students and families are eligible to enroll in the MIT dental program. Students must enroll during a two-week period at the beginning of fall semester. Details on how and when to enroll as well as other information can be found online.
MassHealth is an insurance program for middle to low income residents of Massachusetts. In other states, similar programs are called Medicaid or CHIP. For more information, visit the Commonwealth's website to learn more about MassHealth. MassHealth offers both health insurance and dental insurance plans.
Helpful Contact Information
- Tel. (617) 253-1212 (MIT Police, Fire, Ambulance, First Aid)
- You can also dial x100 from a campus phone
- Or Dial 911
- Campus Police (non-emergency)
- Locked out/Maintenance Emergency
- Tel. (617) 253-1500
- Or Dial Tel. (617) 253-4948
- MIT Medical
- COVID-19 Hotline Tel. (617) 253-4865
- Urgent Care Tel. (617) 253-1311
- Mental Health Tel. (617) 253-2916
- MIT Violence Prevention & Response
- MIT Work, Family, & Personal Life
- MIT’s Spouses & Partners
- SafeRide Bus (6:00 pm to 12:00 am)