Return Checklist

This is a brief summary of the necessary steps to request return as an undergraduate. Students requesting return from a Leave of Absence (LOA) should consult the Returning from Leave of Absence (LOA) page and checklist for details and processes.

1. Note Return Request deadlines:

  • Fall term deadline: June 15
  • Spring term deadline : November 15
  • To ensure that the Committee on Academic Performance has the most up to date information about your time away, request to return forms will be accepted no earlier than June 1 for the Fall term and November 1 for the Spring term.
  • Decisions will be emailed on or around August 10 for a Fall return or January 10 for a Spring return.

2. Complete the Undergraduate Request to Return form.

  • Ensure that your name is on all materials.
  • Email all request to return materials, with the exception of the Provider Report, to: The Provider Report should be sent directly to

3. After you have submitted your completed request, call 617-253-4861 or email to schedule an appointment with your dean.

4. Note Financial Aid deadlines

  • An application for financial aid must be submitted prior to the intended academic year of return. Student Financial Services reviews applications on a rolling basis after the initial deadline of April 15. It is recommened that you submit your application as soon as you are able.
  • To apply for financial aid, contact Student Financial Services (617-258-8600,

5. Check to make sure you are financially cleared to return to MIT

6. International students must contact the International Students Office.

  • You will need to send in a new financial certification form.
  • The ISO must update your certificate of eligibility before your return to MIT.
  • Please contact the International Students Office (617-253-3795 or for more information.

7. Develop a plan for housing if your request to return has been approved.

  • Currently, on-campus housing cannot be guaranteed for students returning from leave. If you are interested in on-campus housing you should follow the most up to date process provided by Housing & Residential Services. Contact MIT HRS with any questions (617-253-2811 or
  • If you are considering housing with an FSILG, please contact the fraternity, sorority, or independent living group in which you would like to live. Please keep in mind that space may be limited and housing cannot be guaranteed. Contact the FSILG office (617-253-7546 or with any questions.
  • For assistance and advice on your off-campus housing search, please contact the MIT Off-Campus Housing (

8. Submit an updated Medical Report form.