Requesting a Personal Leave
A Personal Leave is typically sought when a student needs to attend to personal or family issues that arise unexpectedly. Students may request a Personal Leave through the last day of classes of the semester. Under the terms of a Personal Leave, a student usually takes at least one full semester away from MIT. Any request made after the last day of classes will be processed for the next semester and will only be granted after review by the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) at end-of-term meetings. A Required Academic Leave voted by the CAP will supersede a student's request for a Personal Leave.
How to Request a Personal Leave1. Schedule an appointment with an S3 dean to discuss your plans.
- All students must speak with an S3 dean before taking a leave to understand the process and any implications of taking a leave. Your dean will process your leave, and work with you to outline any expectations regarding your time away from MIT. You should have a full understanding of all implications and expectations at the time of your leave. Your S3 dean will send you an email that documents your leave and the return plan that was developed with you. More information about expectations can be found under FAQs.
- Tuition will be prorated according to the Registrar's proration tables. Please see the official MIT policy on costs and tuition adjustments.
- If you receive financial aid, you should be in touch with the Student Financial Aid (617-258-8600).
- If you have received student loans, you are required to contact Loan Services for an Exit Interview before leaving MIT (617-253-3343).
- Contact Student Financial Services (617-258-8600) to make sure no outstanding balance remains on your student account.
- Students who take a leave from MIT are automatically ineligible for Institute approved housing. Students are expected to move out of MIT dorms/FSILGs in a timely fashion. There are other resources available to assist with departure if necessary.
- Be sure to make other arrangements for insurance coverage. You may contact the MIT Health Plans Office (617-253-4371) for more information.
- Students requesting a Personal Leave for the current term will be required to pay the MIT Health Plan fee. This is necessary to ensure coverage for charges incurred during the semester.
6. International students should be in touch with the International Students Office (617-253-3795) regarding their visa status.
7. Go to the Leaves FAQs page for any other infomation.