How to Request a Medical Leave

  1. Schedule an appointment with an S3 dean to discuss your plans.
    • All students should speak with one of the S3 Deans before take a Medical Leave to understand the process and any implications of taking a leave. A will work with you to outline expectations regarding your time away from MIT. When your leave is processed, you will receive an email outlining the expectations. You should have a full understanding of these expectations at the time of your leave.
  2. Settle any financial obligations you may have.
    • If you receive financial aid, you should be in touch with the Student Financial Aid (617-258-8600).
    • If you have received student loans, you are required to contact Loan Services for an Exit Interview before leaving MIT (617-253-3343).
  3. Contact Undergraduate Housing (617-253-2811) and your house manager to make arrangements for your departure.
    • Students who take a leave from MIT are automatically ineligible for Institute approved housing. Students are expected to move out of MIT dorms/FSILGs in a timely fashion. There are other resources available to assist with departure if necessary.
  4. For questions about health insurance coverage contact the MIT Health Plans Office (617-253-4371).
    • Students are not eligible for MIT Student Extended Health Insurance while on Personal or Required Academic Leave. Students who are taking a Medical Leave and are already enrolled in the MIT Student Extended Health Insurance Plan should let their dean know whether they would like to continue coverage.
  5. Contact your advisor, academic department, and any one else you think should be notified of your plans (e.g., athletic coach, UROP Supervisor, GRT).
  6. International students should be in touch with the International Students Office (617-253-3795) regarding their visa status.
  7. Request a transcript.
    • If you intend to take classes or transfer to another college or university, you may need a copy of your MIT transcript. You can obtain a copy through the Registrar's Office.
  8. When planning a return to MIT, please visit the Requesting Return section of this website and contact your S3 Dean.