Graduate Housing Referral Program
About the Referral Program
We’re rewarding graduate students who are current residents of MIT housing with a $250 rental credit for each graduate student they refer to live in MIT graduate housing, subject to the terms and conditions listed below. This referral program does not apply to any sublicensing arrangements by graduate residents for their own housing assignments. The best part is that there’s no limit to how many credits a referrer can earn!
And guess what? Your friends and classmates will be rewarded for joining the MIT graduate housing community. They’ll also earn a $250 credit toward their rent obligation, and all participants have the option to gift their earned credit to another current graduate housing resident.
Get started today by sharing information about MIT grad housing with friends and classmates who may be interested in on-campus housing for the 2021-2022 academic year! See below for some helpful materials to help spread the word!
Restrictions apply. Please see below for further details.
The following terms and conditions apply, and must also be met, for BOTH the “referrer” and the “referee” to be eligible for the rental credits:
- The referrer must:
- have signed a 2021-2022 MIT graduate housing license agreement at the time of the referral;
- occupy their graduate housing assignment at the time the rent credit is applied (no sooner than three months after the referee's occupancy);
- comply with all the terms of their housing license agreement through the end of the minimum eligibility stay required; AND
- submit a referral form (for each referral) on or before April 25, 2021.
- The referee must:
- be eligible to live in graduate housing, including:
- full-time, degree-seeking MIT graduate student who is eligible to register for courses during Fall 2021; OR
- an approved visitor at the Institute, including cross-registered students, researchers, and post-docs;
- an incoming resident who participates in the Fall 2021 General Allocation housing process
- complete the referee form
- sign a 2021-2022 graduate housing license agreement at the time of the referral;
- occupy their graduate housing assignment for a minimum of three consecutive months; AND
- comply with all the terms of their housing license agreement through the end of the minimum eligibility stay required
Both the referrer and the referee will be awarded a $250 credit toward their MIT graduate housing rent within 30 days after all conditions listed above are met.
Referral form submissions will be accepted from March 31 through April 25, 2021 (which aligns with the 2021-2022 Housing Allocation application period)
Program participants (referrer and referee) have the option to gift all or half of their awarded credit to another 2021-2022 resident of MIT graduate housing. The credit amount will be applied to the gift recipient's rent obligation once all program requirements have been met. Referral program participants may select this option within their referral form and designate a gift recipient.
- If I'm referring others to graduate housing, is there a limit to how may credits I can earn?
No. You will receive a $250 credit toward your rent in MIT graduate housing for each successful referral according to the conditions outlined on this webpage. If you earn more than your rent obligation when the credit is applied, the remaining credit balance will carry over to the next month.
- When can I expect the rent credit will be applied?
If all conditions are met, credits will appear on students' housing bills after the three-month residency requirement for referred residents. With most 2021-2022 license agreements starting on August 1, 2021, the earliest that credits could appear is November 2021.
- If I've been referred to graduate housing, when does the three-month residency requirement begin?
The residency requirement will begin on your assigned occupancy date (when rent charges begin). This date will appear on your housing license agreement and within additional notices sent to you by Housing & Residential Services.
- How will I know that I've qualified for the credit?
After the referral form submission deadline (April 25, 2021), staff from Housing & Residential Services will begin reviewing submissions and will notify referrers and referees to confirm successful submission. As noted above, the rent credit(s) will be applied once all conditions are met. You are welcome to reach out to the HRS team with any questions via email at email@example.com.
- Can multiple referrers receive a credit for referring the same individual?
No. Only one referrer will receive the credit. If mutiple referrers submit the same referee information within their referral form, the credit will be applied to the name of the referrer included in the referee's form.
Helpful Materials to Help Spread the Word
Please review the helpful information and FAQs on this webpage. If you have any additional questions, please contact Housing & Residential Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Referral Credit".
Complete ReferrER Form
(To be completed by program participants referring others to MIT graduate housing for each referral)
Complete Referee Form
(To be completed by program participants who are referred to MIT graduate housing)