The best way to start at MIT
Before classes begin—even before orientation—we offer a dynamic program to help you start your MIT career memorably and with impact. It’s called the Freshman Urban Program (FUP), and it’s an engaging, action-oriented, service-focused introduction to MIT and surrounding communities.
How FUP works
FUP is a five-day celebration of community service and urban exploration. Volunteer with other first-year students on projects that help strengthen our neighborhood. Participate in activities and discussions that delve into social issues such as inequality, privilege, and hunger in America. And develop valuable friendships while discovering local resources that will support you during the school year and beyond.
MIT upperclassmen plan and train throughout the spring and summer to be FUP coordinators and counselors, then lead the FUP program in the fall.
FUP is about community
- Preparing food at soup kitchens and homeless shelters
- Sorting food donations at the Greater Boston Food Bank
- Organizing school supplies for an educational organization
- Volunteering at community health and art centers
FUP is about exploration
- Engage in activities that explore hunger, gender, and cultural issues
- Learn from locals about the social issues facing our community
- Get the inside scoop on surviving and thriving at MIT from a team of student counselors
FUP is about fun
- Explore the best of Cambridge and Boston’s fascinating neighborhoods
- Eat froyo, explore the neighborhood, and watch movies together
Talk to us about the Freshman Urban Program
Office: Building W20-549
Phone: (617) 253-8968
Events and deadlines
Tuesday, August 22 – Sunday, August 27
FUP 2017 Counselor Application
The deadline to apply to be a FUP Counselor has been extended to Fri, Feb 17 at 5 pm.
FUP Counselors must be available for several dates throughout the spring and summer including:
|FUP Counselor Meeting #1||Tue, Feb 28, 6-8 pm|
|FUP Counselor Meeting #2||Tue, Mar 14, 6-8 pm|
|FUP Counselor Meeting #3||Tue, Apr 25, 6-8 pm|
|End of Semester FUP Counselor Dinner||Tue, May 9, 6-8 pm|
|FUP Counselor Training and FUP||Sat, Aug 19 – Sun, Aug 27|