The process for finding
your new place starts here
Campus housing is popular among graduate students because it’s convenient and economical.
Housing & Residential Services is excited to offer a new self-selection process for students interested in living on-campus.
All graduate students are eligible to apply for on-campus housing if they are fully registered for the period they will be living at MIT.
- Visitors (i.e. visiting researchers, post docs, special or cross-registered students, etc.) are not eligible for this process and may enter the waiting list, which opens on June 1, 2019.
How Does it Work?
- New graduate students and current graduate residents without continuing status complete a short application to confirm their eligibility.
- Once the eligibility is verified, applicants will be randomly assigned a self-selection date and time, as well as given information to preview all available apartments on a pre-determined date. During the preview date, you will be able to search the system to create a list of the apartments/rooms you would prefer to live in. You will be able to search by building, unit type, gender, and date available.
- On your assigned self-selection date and time, you will search and select your apartment/room, and confirm and sign your license agreement.
What You Need to Know
IMPORTANT: The deadline to apply for housing is different from the self-selection deadline. In order to be eligible for self-selection you must complete the housing application. The first-round application is due by April 28, 2019, at 11:59 pm.
- Newly admitted graduate students will not be able to access the housing application until mid-April, which is when the Registrar's Office activates the status of newly admitted graduate students.
- The first-round application for fall housing self-selection will be available from March 27 - April 28, 2019. If you miss this deadline, there is a second-round application open May 13 - 27, 2019. If you miss the first two rounds, don't worry! Students may enter the waiting list on June 1, 2019, once the second round has closed. The waiting list will offer rolling self-selection dates throughout the summer and fall.
- You will need MIT web certificates on your computer to apply. If you do not have MIT web certificates on your computer, please contact your department and download the certificates.
- Already have roommates in mind? You can request each other on the application and the applicant with the earliest self-selection time can select for all roommates.
Please note: The application will only be available during the designated time periods above. Check the dates and deadlines page for specific opening and closing dates.