Housing for Visitors
Are you visiting MIT as a postdoc, researcher, or cross-registered student?
MIT-affiliated visitors are invited to apply for on-campus housing via the fall and spring housing waiting lists. Visitors may also sublicense a room from a current resident during the summer or Independent Activities Period (IAP) breaks.
Who is eligible for on-campus housing?
Eligible visitors include:
- cross-registered, special, and visiting students
- postdocs and researchers
- visiting professors and lecturers
Alumni, families of students, and Draper and Broad employees are NOT eligible for on-campus housing.
What you should know about on-campus housing for visitors?
- If space is available after all fully-registered graduate students have been assigned housing, some remaining units may be offered to MIT-affiliated visitors. Priority is given to visitors who will need an assignment for the entire academic year.
- Most visitors are assigned to shared apartment accommodations. Assignments to efficiencies and one-bedroom apartments are very rare.
- Family housing is extremely limited and the likelihood of an assignment is low.
- Termination and cancellation policies are the same for students and visitors.
- The off-campus housing website has rental and short-term listings, as well as information on the surrounding communities. (You must have an MIT ID to access the site.)
- For fall housing, apply to the waiting list in mid-July. For spring housing, apply to the waiting list in early December.
- Offers to visitors for fall housing will not be made before early August. Your move-in date will most likely be in late August or early September.
- Offers to visitors for spring housing will not be made before mid-January. Your move-in date will most likely be in late January.
- If you receive an assignment, it will end on August 15, regardless of the move-in date. If you will remain on campus the following year, you must reapply to the waiting list.
Apply to the Wait List
Before you apply, you must have your MIT ID # and MIT certificates. Please contact your department to get your account and certificates set up.
Once you receive and assignment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your appointment letter.