LEAD, Learning Equity and Diversity, is an interactive virtual workshop series lead by SPXCE staff. Attend an individual session for targeted education on a specific topic or register for all 6 LEAD sessions for a deeper dive into social justice issues. These workshops are specifcially for staff who work directly with students. Registration for the next LEAD workshops will open in January. The next round of workshops will begin in March.
- Participants will review Chickering's 7 vectors. We'll explore identity development and how this theory can guide the way we support students.
- Participants will gain an understanding of privileged/vulnerable identities and intersectionality, recognize the varied needs of diverse student populations, and apply knowledge gained by creating a collective and evolving catalogue of best practices.
Socialization & Racial Identity
- Exploring and unpacking the social construct. Participants will explore how the formation of race based identity impacts and informs our lived experience.
- We'll discuss gender and sexual orientation through an intersectional lens. This workshop is open to all skill levels on: LBGTQ+ best practices, current data and policies, terminology, gender identity, what it means to be a safe zone, and more as it relates to creating a sustainable, inclusive community for all. All participants will receive the brand new You Are Welcome Here “trained” cards at the end of the session.
Microaggressions & Implicit Bias
- Participants will take an implicit bias test ahead of the session and learn more about disrupting microaggressions. We'll also engage participants in activities that both define and acknowledge microaggressions and implicit bias.
Best Practices for Supporting Diverse Populations
- Join us for a conversation on supporting a diverse student population at MIT. Participants will: gain an understanding of privileged/vulnerable identities and intersectionality, recognize the varied needs of diverse student populations, and apply knowledge gained by creating a collective and evolving catalogue of best practices.
Stay tuned for more information on:
- Becoming a LEADer
For more information on the LEAD Series, email SPXCE@mit.edu.