Welcome to MIT!
How early can I move in for the fall semester?
- First year students move in on the first Sunday of Orientation Week (typically one week prior to the fall term Registration Day). Students approved to participate in a sport or FPOP may return earlier in accordance with the early return policies and procedures.
- Returning residents may move into their rooms on the weekend prior to the fall term Registration Day. Residents approved to participate in a sport or Orientation activites may return earlier in accordance with the early return policies and procedures.
When do the residence halls close?
- Once MIT residence halls open for the academic year, they stay open. They do not close for holidays, IAP, or spring break. However, residence halls are closed for the summer.
How late can I move out at the end of the spring semester?
- Occupancy ends at 12:00 pm on the Sunday following the last day of the scheduled spring term final examination period.
- If you do not vacate and check out of your assignment according to official occupancy dates, you will be charged a fee and may have your belongings removed.
- Under special circumstances, Housing & Residential Services may approve other requests to occupy rooms beyond the official occupancy dates, but you must request—and receive—permission in advance.