All students living in a residence hall who participate in an MIT-sponsored study abroad program are guaranteed housing when they return to campus.
Students should follow the steps below to secure on-campus housing for their return:
Prior to Your Departure
- Upon acceptance into a study abroad program, you should complete a Housing Cancellation Form in your Housing Portal. Indicate in the drop-down menu that you are participating in a study abroad program.
As You Prepare to Return
- Request housing for your return to MIT by submitting a Housing Waitlist Application in your Housing Portal. On this form, please select the study abroad option and provide your building preferences. Housing & Residential Services will make every effort to try to place you in your preferred residence hall, as long as space is available.
- You will receive your return housing assignment via email in mid-to-late December for the spring term, or mid-to-late April for the fall term.
Moving from FSILGs to on-campus housing
If you live off-campus or in an FSILG before your study abroad program, you are not guaranteed placement in an on-campus residence hall when you return. If you are interested in returning to on-campus housing, you must submit a Housing Waitlist Application in your Housing Portal.
- Returning for the spring semester:
Your building's Room Assignment Chairs will work with you via email to assign you a room based on your preferences and what is available.
- Returning for the fall semester:
In the spring, each residence hall holds an in-house lottery to distribute assignments. Students who are studying abroad are included within this lottery. Please submit a completed Housing Intent Form within your Housing Portal (when the online form is available) to share your building preferences.