All students living in a residence hall who participate in an MIT-sponsored study abroad program are guaranteed housing when they return to campus.
Students should follow the steps below to secure on-campus housing for their return:
Prior to Your Departure
- Upon acceptance into a study abroad program, you should complete a Housing Cancellation Form. Indicate in the drop-down menu that you are participating in a study abroad program.
As You Prepare to Return
- Request housing for your return to MIT by submitting a Housing Waitlist Application . On this form, please select the study abroad option and provide your building preferences. Housing & Residential Services will make every effort to try to place you in your preferred residence hall, as long as space is available.
- You will receive your return housing assignment via email in mid-to-late December for the spring term, or mid-to-late April for the fall term.
Moving from FSILGs to on-campus housing
If you live off-campus or in an FSILG before your study abroad program, you are not guaranteed placement in an on-campus residence hall when you return. If you are interested in returning to on-campus housing, you must submit the Housing Waitlist Application and you will be placed on a waiting list. The success of your request will depend on how early you apply and the availability of housing.
- Returning for the spring semester:
Your building's Room Assignment Chairs will work with you via email to assign you a room based on your preferences and what is available.
- Returning for the fall semester:
In the spring, each residence hall holds an in-house lottery to distribute assignments. Students who are studying abroad are included in this lottery. Please contact your building's Room Assignment Chair to describe your preferences for your fall assignment.