Change your assignment

If your housing assignment is not what you hoped for, you may request a change to a different room or residence hall.

From room to room

Spring and Fall Switch Lotteries

Moving from room to room within a residence

  • If you wish to move to another room in the same building or living group you should contact the Room Assignment Chair in your residence hall. Responsibility for making room assignments and changes in room assignments within an MIT undergraduate residence hall is usually delegated to the student government of that residence in consultation with the house manager and the Head of House. No assignment is final until approved by Housing & Residential Services. 

Spring & Fall Switch Lotteries

  • Housing & Residential Services offers two lotteries per academic year for students who are currently living on campus and want to switch residences. The lottery held in December makes switches for the spring semester and the lottery held in April makes switches for the fall semester. Learn more.