aerial view of west campus residence halls

Get Housing

Answers to key questions about MIT housing can be found below.

Who must live on campus
Guaranteed housing & COVID-19
Vacancies in doubles or triples
Involuntary housing change 
Problem solving
Gender Inclusive Housing
Undergraduate Housing Waitlist Process

Who must live on campus

First-year students are required to live in one of the undergraduate residence halls on campus for the duration of their first year at MIT. With the stress that often comes with transition to college life, especially at MIT, the proximity to campus and access to on-campus facilities and resources are especially important. Rare exceptions are made in cases where first-year students are married or will live full time with parents or guardians who reside in the Boston area.

You may write a letter of petition to Housing & Residential Services requesting permission to live off campus during your first year at MIT. In addition to that letter of petition, you must supply documentation of off-campus residency with parents or family or documentation of marriage. Your petition will be reviewed by Housing & Residential Services in conjunction with the Office of the First Year.

Guaranteed Housing & COVID-19

Students who were living in MIT on-campus housing as of March 1, 2020 and who continue to maintain their enrollment as registered MIT undergraduate students will be guaranteed future housing when MIT housing returns to normal operations and all residents are invited to return to campus for fall 2021. Consistent with existing policy, students who lived off campus prior to March 2020, or lived on campus in Spring 2020 and subsequently took a leave of absence, will not be guaranteed future housing.

Vacancies in doubles or triples

One student may not occupy a double, or two a triple. If you find yourself in a room with an extra bed, it is important to know that a new resident will be assigned to the vacancy as soon as possible. Attempts to dissuade prospective roommates from moving in are strictly prohibited and may result in lost privileges, suspension from the residence, fines or additional rent charges, or other disciplinary action.

Involuntary change in housing assignment

  • Housing & Residential Services must ultimately approve all assignments or reassignments within a residence, changes from one residence to another, or changes from an MIT residence to off-campus housing.

  • Responsibility for making room assignments and changes in room assignments within an MIT undergraduate residence is the responsibility of the student government of that residence in consultation with Housing & Residential Services. No assignment is final until approved by Housing & Residential Services.

  • Housing & Residential Services reserves the right to move students at its discretion to consolidate or fill vacancies (especially if crowding exists), to meet the demands upon facilities, to reconcile personal problems, or to resolve conflicts and discipline issues.

  • Housing & Residential Services reserves the right to make specific assignments in cases it deems special or extraordinary, such as those involving medical or personal problems. In such cases, guaranteeing a student’s right of privacy and confidentiality may require direct assignments that override individual house lotteries.

Problem solving

Always maintain an open line of communication with your roommate(s), respectfully discussing problems and negotiating solutions. If you are unable to settle an issue in this manner, talk first with your graduate resident assistant (GRA). If necessary, the GRA will then work with the Head of House and/or Area Director of your residence to help resolve the problem. 

Another resource to consider is mediation. Conflict Management@MIT offers confidential consultations about difficult people, conversations, or situations and offers suggestions for handling a dispute or conflict.

Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender inclusive housing is a policy that provides MIT students with the option to live in residences with whomever they choose, regardless of biological sex, gender, or gender identity.

  • Gender inclusive housing is available in the majority of undergraduate and graduate residence halls, except in areas (including houses, entries, and/or floors) designated as single-sex.
  • This is a voluntary housing option. No student will be assigned to gender inclusive housing unless they request it.
  • MIT discourages students of any sexual orientation who are in a relationship from living together in a residential room.

Students who are interested in living in gender inclusive housing should indicate this on their housing or waitlist application.

Any student who has questions or concerns about their housing options should contact Housing & Residential Services directly.

Undergraduate Housing Waitlist Process

The waiting list is for students who do not have a housing assignment due to missing the housing application deadline, change of circumstance or academic standing etc. Students who submit a waitlist application (MIT certificates or credentials required) during the posted application period will be offered a housing assignment on a first-come, first-served basis depending on students’ housing preferences and housing availability. Offers are made on a rolling basis.