70 Amherst Street
Located on the east side of campus, 70 Amherst Street is approximately 0.7 miles walking distance from MIT's main entrance at 77 Massachusetts Avenue.
70 Amherst Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
IMPORTANT: Campus construction and/or Housing-related projects may impact 70 Amherst Street during the 2023-2024 academic year.
*Over the course of the next few years construction will occur all around Kendall Square. It is anticipated that construction-related noise will affect the area surrounding 70 Amherst Street during the hours of 7:00 am-6:00 pm daily, including Saturdays. To learn more about the project and to sign up for updates, visit http://kendallsquare.mit.edu.
70 Amherst Street is comprised of mostly single bedrooms with shared kitchens and community bathrooms, and a few single bedroom apartments. You can view floor plans at http://floorplans.mit.edu. Note: You will need your MIT certificates to access this site.
|Unit Type||Approx. Size||Number||Description|
|Single rooms||125 sf (avg.)||119||For one resident, with shared kitchen and bathroom on hallway.|
|Large single rooms||240 sf (avg.)||9||For one resident, with shared kitchen and bathroom on hallway.|
|One bedroom apartments for couples||500 sf (avg.)||5||Private (unfurnished) apartment for a couple* with a bathroom, living room, and kitchen.|
|Two bedroom apartment||670 sf (avg.)||1||Two occupants share an apartment with one bathroom and kitchen. Each occupant has a private bedroom.|
*Couples must submit proof of family documentation before you move in.
Utilities, wifi, and ethernet are included in your monthly rent.
Each unit for a single student is furnished with:
- extra-long twin bed and mattress (linens not provided)
- desk and desk chair
Community bathrooms located off the hallway include:
- mutiple private bathroom units with a shower, toilet, and sink on each floor
- ratio of 4.3 students to each toilet
- furnished residence for single graduate students
- unfurnished for couples in 1 bedroom apartments
- opened in 1918
Health and allergy considerations
- air conditioning (May through September)
- smoking is not permitted indoors
- hallways are carpeted
- rooms are tiled
- elevator serves all floors
- pets are not permitted (except fish).
IMPORTANT: Pets are prohibited in any undergraduate or graduate residence hall unless specifically noted otherwise. Please read the full policy for more information.
70 Amherst Street Renewal Policy*
MIT Graduate Students
- Renewable License: Residents may annually choose to renew their on-campus housing assignment for the full duration of their MIT graduate degree program.
Visitors, Affiliates, Postdocs, Cross-Registered Students
- Non-Renewable License: Must enter the Self-Selection process annually to select an on-campus housing assignment, subject to housing availability. Existing residents seeking to remain in on-campus graduate housing will be granted early access to select a unit before off-campus visitors, affiliates, postdocs and cross-registered students.
*Residents must remain eligible for MIT graduate housing. This renewal policy does not apply to undergraduate students living within graduate housing. Visitors, affiliates, postdocs and cross-registered students continue to receive non-renewable licenses.
70 Amherst Street - Immersive Imaging
Take a peek inside the building!
Building Amenity Spaces
Common Area (Fifth Floor)
Music Room (Basement)
Primary Fitness Area (Basement)
Secondary Fitness Area (Basement)
Shared Community Space (Basement)
Example Unit Types*
*Please note that specific unit types and fixtures may vary. All immersive images are for illustrative purposes only.