Spring and Fall Housing Allocations
Are you a graduate student looking for on-campus housing? Find out more about the spring and fall housing allocations below.
|Spring Allocation||Fall Allocation|
|Application opens||October||approximately mid-March through early May|
|Housing for||spring academic semester||fall academic semester|
|Eligibility||new or returning students; current residents looking to transfer from single to family housing; current residents looking to transfer from family to single housing||new or returning students; current residents looking to transfer from single to family housing; current residents looking to transfer from family to single housing|
|Length of Housing Assignment||spring semester until August*||depends on your status and building assignment**|
Penalty for decline of assignment
or do not sign license agreement
|cancellation fee = $250||cancellation fee = $250|
* Single students assigned to the Warehouse during the spring will receive a non-renewable assignment lasting until July 31, 2021. All other students will have an option to renew their license agreement for another year.
** Students with "continuing status" assigned to family or single housing will receive an assignment through July 31, 2021 (beginning with the 2020-2021 license agreement) with an option to renew until they graduate or cease to be registered at MIT.
For Spring 2021, all regularly-enrolled students will receive a one-year renewable license status with an assignment through July 31, 2021 and the option to renew until July 31 the following year.
- Current on-campus MIT students with continuing status are not eligible to enter the allocations unless looking to transfer from single to family housing or from family to single housing.
- Current on-campus students in single housing looking to change residence halls should enter the Building-to-Building Transfer process.
- Visitors (post docs, visiting students, scientists, researchers, etc.) are not eligible for the allocation but can enter the waiting list when it opens on November 23, 2020.
- All students who receive an assignment in the spring allocation and sign a license agreement, are subject to all fees/policies associated with the termination of graduate housing. See Change or Cancel Your Assignment for more information.
- If circumstances associated with the COVID-19 pandemic alter students’ plans or prevent students from returning to campus through no fault of their own (i.e. travel or visa restrictions), HRS will work with students on a case-by-case basis and will waive any cancellation fees associated with their 2020-2021 on-campus housing license agreements. Please contact HRS as soon as you are aware of possible delays and we will continue to work with the International Students Office to support international students’ housing needs.
- Students can view the spring allocation results/assignment online. Students will also receive an email at their MIT email address by 4:30 pm EDT on November 16, 2020.