Housing for Visitors

Are you visiting MIT as a postdoc, researcher, or cross-registered student?

MIT-affiliated visitors are invited to apply for on-campus housing via the fall and spring housing waiting lists. Visitors may also sublicense a room from a current resident during the summer or Independent Activities Period (IAP) breaks.

Who is eligible for on-campus housing? 

  • cross-registered, special, and visiting students
  • postdocs and researchers
  • visiting professors and lecturers

Alumni, families of students, and Draper and Broad employees are NOT eligible for on-campus housing.

What you should know about on-campus housing for visitors?

  • Family housing is extremely limited and the likelihood of finding an available apartment is low. If you are assigned an apartment in family housing, you must submit your proof-of-family documentation once you sign your license agreement.
  • Termination and cancellation policies are the same for students and visitors.
  • The off-campus housing website has rental and short-term listings, as well as information on the surrounding communities. (You must have an MIT ID to access the site.)


Apply to the Wait List
Before you apply, you must have your MIT ID # and MIT certificates. Please contact your department to get your account and certificates set up.
Once you receive and assignment, please email graduatehousing@mit.edu with your appointment letter.