Change or Cancel Your Assignment
How to Cancel Before Your Scheduled Occupancy Date
Before the allocation closes
- To cancel your application before the allocation closes, go to http://myhousing.mit.edu and cancel
- You will not pay a penalty if you cancel before the final application deadline
After the allocation closes
To cancel after the deadline, you must notify the Housing Office of cancellation in writing at least 30 days before your scheduled move-in date. You will pay a $250 fee if:
- you cancel your application or fail to accept an offer by the stated deadlines
- if you cancel your accepted assignment 30 days prior to your scheduled move-in date
- you cancel with less than 30 days notice (you will owe rent on the unit you were assigned to in addition to the $250 cancellation fee)
If You Decide Not to Attend MIT
You must notify the Housing Office in writing if you decide not to attend MIT. The individual academic departments will not do this for you.
- Once a year, a building-to-building transfer process is held for students in single housing who wish to transfer to another building.
- If you would like to transfer between single and family housing, you can apply to the allocation or waiting list depending on when you are applying and/or when you need to transfer.