Change or Cancel Your Assignment
In general, if you receive a graduate housing assignment through any of the available housing processes, you are expected to occupy the assignment on the appropriate date and fulfill all other terms of the Housing License Agreement. Students who cancel their on-campus housing prior to their scheduled occupancy date (also known as "scheduled move-in date") are subject to the cancellation policy outlined below.
Please Note: The housing Early Termination Policy will apply to any cancellations submitted after the scheduled occupancy date.
Remaining Flexible to Meet Students’ Housing Needs
Housing & Residential Services (HRS) continues to remain as flexible as possible to accommodate graduate students’ housing needs. If circumstances alter students’ plans or prevent students from arriving to campus through no fault of their own (i.e. travel ban or visa restrictions), HRS will work with the International Students Office (ISO) and students on a case-by-case basis regarding their on-campus housing assignment.
How to Cancel Your Housing Assignment
Before the Housing Allocation closes:
To cancel your application before the Housing Allocation closes, go to http://myhousing.mit.edu and submit a cancellation form.
An individual in the group allocation may cancel their application prior to the deadline without penalty, and the group will remain intact with a reduction in group size.
- You will not pay a penalty if you cancel before the final application deadline.
After the allocation closes:
To cancel after the deadline, you must notify Housing & Residential Services of cancellation in writing at least 30 days before your scheduled move-in date. You will pay a $250 fee if:
- you cancel your application or fail to accept an offer by the stated deadlines (students who obtained a housing assignment through the 2021-2022 Housing Allocation will have until Friday, May 14 at 11:59 pm ET to cancel their assignment without penalty).
- an individual in the group allocation cancels their application from a group after the stated deadline (The group will remain in tact with a reduction in group size.)
- if you cancel your accepted assignment 30 days prior to your scheduled move-in date
- you cancel with less than 30 days notice (you will owe rent on the unit you were assigned to in addition to the $250 cancellation fee)
If You Decide Not to Attend MIT:
- You must notify the Housing & Residential Services in writing if you decide not to attend MIT. The individual academic departments will not do this for you.
- Once a year, a building-to-building transfer process and internal room swap is held for students in single housing who wish to transfer to a vacancy in another building or switch rooms with another student.
- If you would like to transfer between single and family housing, you can apply to the allocation or waiting list depending on when you are applying and/or when you need to transfer.