Change or Cancel Your Assignment
How to Cancel Before Your Scheduled Occupancy Date
Before the allocation closes
- To cancel your application before the allocation closes, go to http://myhousing.mit.edu and cancel
- An individual in the group allocation may cancel their application prior to the deadline without penalty, and the group will remain intact with a reduction in group size
- You will not pay a penalty if you cancel before the final application deadline
After the allocation closesTo cancel after the deadline, you must notify the Housing & Residential Services of cancellation in writing at least 30 days before your scheduled move-in date. You will pay a $250 fee if:
- you cancel your application or fail to accept an offer by the stated deadlines
- an individual in the group allocation cancels their application from a group after the stated deadline (The group will remain in tact with a reduction in group size.)
- if you cancel your accepted assignment 30 days prior to your scheduled move-in date
- you cancel with less than 30 days notice (you will owe rent on the unit you were assigned to in addition to the $250 cancellation fee)
If You Decide Not to Attend MITYou must notify the Housing & Residential Services in writing if you decide not to attend MIT. The individual academic departments will not do this for you.
- Once a year, a building-to-building transfer process and internal room swap is held for students in single housing who wish to transfer to a vacancy in another building or switch rooms with another student.
- If you would like to transfer between single and family housing, you can apply to the allocation or waiting list depending on when you are applying and/or when you need to transfer.