The process for finding
your new place starts here
Campus housing is popular among graduate students because it’s convenient and economical. Most of all, it offers the opportunity to plunge feet-first into one of the most vibrant, adventurous communities on earth.
Approximately 97% of new graduate student applicants and 65% of returning student applicants receive graduate housing through the housing allocation process. If you follow the guidance on these pages, you will increase your chances of getting a housing assignment for the coming school year.
The spring housing allocation is now closed. If you are interested in living on campus for the spring semester, please consider joining the waiting list when it opens on December 3.
When to apply
- Applications for fall housing are available in late March/early April.
- Applications for spring housing are available in late October/early November.
- You will need MIT Web Certificates on your computer to apply. If you do not have MIT Web Certificates on your computer please contact your department and download the certificates.
- You may apply anytime between the open and close dates for the allocation. Your chances of receiving an assignment through the allocation are the same regardless of when you apply.
- You will not be able to apply before you are accepted as a student at MIT and have accepted the offer from your department.
- Summer and IAP housing is available through sublicenses or off-campus housing.
Who can apply
- Fully registered graduate students
- Fully registered graduate students with eligible spouses, partners, and/or families
- Undergraduate students with eligible spouses, partners, and/or families
- 9th-term undergraduates, visitors, and postdocs may apply to the waiting list, and they will be assigned housing on a space-available basis
- Make sure to find out who is eligible to live where
Please note: the application will only be available during the designated time periods above. Check the dates and deadlines section for specific opening and closing deadlines.