How to Join
Membership to the Hobby Shop is open to MIT students, staff, faculty, alumni, and their spouses. At this point in time, you must be enrolled in the MIT Covid Pass system to be able to access the W31 and the Hobby Shop.
The membership fee can be paid by cash or check or TechCASH at the Hobby Shop and also by internal requisition on the MIT Atlas navigation site.
We cannot accept debit or credit cards.
New Orientations for the Hobby Shop for the Summer Term Start in June, 2022
Wednesdays 1:00 - 2:00 and Fridays 3:00 - 4:00. Please email us in order to receive a invitation to join our online scheduling service, Clustermarket's Bookkit
*You must have a MIT Covid Pass in order to join the Hobby Shop
There is a multi-step process for gaining access to the Hobby Shop this term
Step 1: CovidPass and Building Access
- You must have a MIT CovidPass in order to use the Hobby Shop
- We are open for students, staff and faculty that would like to gain access for recreational, extracurricular projects, research work and for academic classes.
- Pre-exhisting Hobby Shop members who do not have Covid Pass but are vacinated may be granted limited access on a case by case basis. Please email us for clarification.
Step 2: Bookkit Reservation
- All access to the Hobby Shop must be scheduled on Bookkit.
- Email Hayami:firstname.lastname@example.org to request Bookkit invitation
Step 3: Orientation - In person
- All new Hobby Shop members must attend one of our scheduled orientation sessions.
* There are single term grants available for students in need of Hobby Shop memberships. Please note that these grants are meant for students for whom the $40 fee is a significant barrier. All that is required is a 200 - 300 word description of a personal project that you would like to work on in the shop, drawings are always helpful. This project should not be a UROP or class assigned. You need not disclose your financial means. Please email your letter directly to Hayami: email@example.com
The CAM (Computer-Aided Machining) class is for users who would like to learn to use the computer-controlled milling machine or router. We focus on how to use Fusion 360 software to program the CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machines. Please email us to learn how to get started.
The waterjet class is for users who would like to learn to use the computer-controlled waterjet machine. Please email us to learn how to get started setting up your own OMAX water jet account.
If you have an @mit.edu email address, add yourself to Hobby Shop News on your Athena List site.
Please read the Hobby Shop Rules and then print and fill out the Membership Agreement Form to bring it to the Orientation
Terms for Membership
Spouse fees are the same as the MIT community member's fees. Membership fees are not prorated or refundable. A yearly membership includes any three consecutive terms. The term dates are given below.
- Fall: September 1 through January 31
- Spring: January 1 through May 31
- Summer: June 1 through August 31