A collaborative effort to improve MIT’s graduate student residential experience.
The Division of Student Life (DSL) and the Office of the Vice Chancellor (OVC) continue to work closely together to respond to the needs of graduate students as they navigate their MIT experience. In response to recommendations set forth by the Graduate Student Housing Working Group’s Report to the Chancellor (August 2018), Housing & Residential Services (HRS) has continued its work to improve MIT’s graduate student residential experience. In Fall 2020, HRS transitioned from its work with the Graduate Housing Implementation Team to the Graduate Housing Working Group (GHWG).
The GHWG brings together stakeholders from across campus to ensure that the Institute is well-positioned to evaluate and respond effectively to the housing needs of MIT’s graduate student community. The aim of the GHWG is to analyze and report on major forces impacting the supply and availability of graduate student housing in the Greater Cambridge area while also assessing demand for different types of on-campus housing options.
In addition, the GHWG provides advice and insights about long term and strategic housing priorities, including major on-campus graduate housing projects such as the recently-opened Graduate Tower at Site 4 and the future West Campus graduate residence which is slated to open in Fall 2024.
Prior efforts have also included building student awareness of housing options available at MIT; increasing student agency in deciding when they arrive, as well as where and with whom they would like to live; helping students who want MIT housing to secure it in a shorter timeline; and creating transparency in terms of housing options and availability.
Updates & Related Information
- February 27, 2023 - Read the Graduate Housing Working Group's 2021-2022 Update
- September 27, 2021 - Read the Graduate Housing Working Group's 2020-2021 Update
- February 16, 2021 - MIT News article regarding on-campus housing projects
- February 5, 2020 - 2020-2021 Graduate Housing Rates FAQ
- December 19, 2019 - Message from the Chancellor, Provost, and Executive Vice President and Treasurer regarding the New Housing Option for Graduate Students
- December 18, 2019 - Read the Implementation Group's 2019 Update
- August 10, 2018 - Message from the Chancellor Regarding Working Group Report
- August 2018 - Graduate Student Housing Working Group Report
- May 2014 - Graduate Housing Working Group Report
Graduate Student Resources
Please remember that the following financial resources have been developed in collaboration with student leaders and partners within OVC and DSL to help support graduate students: