Family Housing Transfers
Find out all you need to know about transferring into or within family housing.
Students Currently Living in Family Housing
- A student currently residing in on-campus family housing may apply for a transfer to another apartment as long as their family meets the residency requirements for the desired apartment type. Please see the chart below for more information about priority classifications.
- Couples living in Sidney-Pacific, Edgerton House, or 70 Amherst Street may apply for a transfer to a one-bedroom apartment in Graduate Tower at Site 4 or an efficiency or one-bedroom unit in Westgate Apartments. The license status you currently hold will follow you to the new housing assignment.
- Only those with a change in family status may apply for internal transfers within the Graduate Tower at Site 4 (i.e. one-bedroom to two-bedroom due to a newly-approved family occupancy).
- There is no minimum residency requirement needed to apply for a transfer.
- If you are assigned to family housing and have not moved in, you may not apply for a transfer until you are living on campus in graduate family housing.
- If you decline an offer matching your application preferences, you will be moved to the end of the list within your priority classification.
- You may transfer between apartments of the same type within the same building.
- Family residents who serve as officers in their building, and who are in good standing, are eligible to move to the top of their classification.
- All transfers are subject to approval by Housing & Residential Services.
Single students not currently living in family housing
- Single students with a change of family status should contact email@example.com for family housing options.
Transfers Due to Change in Family Size
Applications to transfer into a higher-occupancy family apartment due to change in size of family requires documentation. Documents include:
- Copy of birth certificate(s) of the child/ren
- Visa(s) or other government-issued documents for each child
Applications to move into a higher-occupancy family apartment due to the anticipated birth of a child requires a letter from your doctor confirming the pregnancy and expected due date. You are eligible to apply after the twelfth week of pregnancy. Please note that an offer to move to a larger apartment will likely not occur until eight weeks (at the earliest) before the child's expected birth date. All transfer offers are based on apartment availability.
- On your application, you may specify dates you are available to transfer. Those dates will be taken into consideration when an offer is made.
- If you cannot move within the timeframe offered to you, the apartment will be offered to someone else and you will be moved to the bottom of the list within your priority classification.
For internal transfers, there is a $200 transfer fee to help offset the cost of turning over the apartment. Please refer to the chart below for transfers that may be exempt from this fee.
|Priority Classifications and Transfer Fees|
|Priority Classification||Currently Lives In||Qualification||Can Transfer To||Transfer Fees|
|Level 1||Westgate efficiency||expecting a child* or already have a child||1-bedroom||N/A|
|Westgate or Graduate Tower 1-bedroom||expecting a second child* or already have two children||Westgate or Graduate Tower 2-bedroom||N/A|
|Westgate or Graduate Tower 2-bedroom||change in family/no children are now living with you||Westgate or Graduate Tower 1-bedroom or Westgate efficiency||N/A|
|Level 2||Westgate efficiency||couple has a child||2-bedroom||$200|
|Westgate efficiency||couple living in an efficiency for more than one year||1-bedroom||$200|
|Westgate or Graduate Tower 1-bedroom||expecting a child* or already have a child||Westgate or Graduate Tower 2-bedroom||$200|
|Westgate 2-bedroom on first floor||current assignment||2-bedroom on higher floor||$200|
|Level 3||Westgate efficiency||couple living in current assignment for less than one year||Westgate 1-bedroom, Site 4 1-bedroom||$200|
|1-bedroom or 2-bedroom||you meet no requirements for Level 1 or 2 but your family meets occupancy requirements for type available||subject to availability**||$200|
* Families may not apply for a transfer to a larger apartment until the twelfth week of pregnancy.
** Couples may have only one child to qualify for a one-bedroom apartment. Single parents may have a maximum of two children to qualify for a one-bedroom apartment.