Need a few extra days in on-campus housing? We've got you covered.
Are you interested in remaining within on-campus housing for a few extra days after the end of the term? You've come to the right place! Housing & Residential Services (HRS) offers temporary housing extensions to undergraduate residents by request.
Undergraduate move-out is at noon on the day after the final exam period for students without approved extensions (see below for information regarding housing extension eligibility). Students with extenuating circumstances (see examples below) may request an extension. For those who remain in housing beyond 2 additional nights, a per-day housing rate will be charged and a move to a different room or building may be required due to preparations for Commencement, reunion and summer housing.
Below, please find answers to frequently asked questions. If you're seeking to live on campus for the entire summer, please visit our summer housing webpage for additional information. As always, if you have any other questions related to on-campus housing, please don't hesitate to reach out to the HRS team.
Who is eligible for an on-campus housing extension?
- To be eligible, you must be living within an existing on-campus undergraduate housing assignment for the spring term. We also ask that you have a legitimate purpose for requesting an on-campus housing extension (i.e. exams on the last day of exam period, travel-related restrictions, transitioning to off-campus housing, etc.).
How do I request a housing extension?
- HRS will email all spring semester undergraduate residents (typically by late March) about on-campus summer housing and spring semester housing extensions. The email will include a link to the extension request form which opens on Friday March 24, 2023 If you're interested in a housing extension, please submit the required webform no later than Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 11:59 pm ET. If you've volunteered to assist with Commencement, you will receive separate guidance via email and should not complete this extension form.
Are all extension requests granted?
- We seek to accommodate residents' requests for temporary housing extensions, however, please know that housing extensions are not guaranteed. As noted above, we ask that you have a legitimate purpose for requesting an on-campus housing extension (i.e. travel-related restrictions, transitioning to off-campus housing, etc.). The extension request form will capture this information and you will receive a confirmation email after your extension request has been reviewed.
What if I'm a graduating senior?
- If you're a graduating senior, you don't have to complete the housing extension request process. You'll be able to remain within your existing on-campus housing assignment until the posted senior move-out date. Unfortunately, extensions beyond this date cannot be granted for graduates.
What is the latest date that I can extend housing?
- The latest possible date that residents may request an extension until is Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 5:00 pm ET. Please see important information below about the potential need for relocations to temporary alternative on-campus housing assignments.
Can I remain in my spring housing assignment?
- Residents who require an extension beyond Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 5:00 pm ET due to extenuating circumstances may need to relocate to a temporary housing assignment for the remainder of their housing extension due to preparations for Commencement, reunion and summer housing. If you are seeking a housing extension beyond the date above, please know that you may be required to relocate between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm (Noon) on Saturday, May 27, 2023. Failure to move may result in a $595 late move-out charge (ouch!).
How does housing extension billing work?
- You will be charged a per-day rate for each additional day(s) that you remain in on-campus housing after 5:00 pm on Saturday, May 27, 2023. If you do not completely move out by 12:00 pm (Noon) ET, you will be charged for one additional day. For example, if you move out at 2:00 pm, you will be charged for one additional day (through until 12:00 pm the next day). All charges will be posted to your MITPay student account.
What are the per-day housing extension rates?
- Students who require a housing extension will be charged a per-day rate for each day(s) they remain in on-campus housing beyond 5:00 pm on Saturday, May 27, 2023. HRS will receive the confirmed names of students who are volunteering to assist with annual Commencement exercises and these students will not be charged for their extended stay. Rates are set according to building tier and room type. Please see this year's per-day housing extension rates below:
|2023 PER-DAY HOUSING EXTENSION RATE|
Baker House, Maseeh Hall, McCormick Hall,
MacGregor House, Next House
East Campus, Random Hall