Updated Spring 2021 Housing Information
December 9, 2020
Dear Spring 2021 Housing Applicant,
I am writing as a follow-up to my previous message to share several important reminders and updates with you regarding the Spring 2021 Housing Application including holiday office hours. While no further action is required, here’s a quick checklist of items to review and consider as you prepare for on-campus housing next semester:
- Review your building preferences by re-opening your previously-submitted application
- Confirm your group preferences
- Identify roommate preferences (NEW!)
- Consider living in Site 4 (sophomores, juniors, and seniors only)
If you open your previously-submitted application (even to review it!), please be sure to click through each page by clicking “Next” and then click “I agree” at the end to ensure that your application is properly submitted. Your previously-submitted or updated application will not be saved if you do not complete each page of the application and click “I agree” on the final page.
- Cancellation Deadline: The penalty-free cancellation deadline for Spring 2021 housing has been extended to Monday, January 4, 2021 at 12:00 pm ET. If you do not intend to live on campus next semester, please cancel your housing assignment within your MyHousing portal as soon as possible to help us better accommodate your classmates who have committed to on-campus housing.
- Living in Site 4: Upper-level students who are eligible to live on campus next semester will have the option to select the Graduate Tower at Site 4 as a housing option during Spring 2021. If you are interested in living in this new residence, either as a single or as part of an upper-level student group, please ensure your housing application captures your interest in this housing option (see below about how to change your housing preferences). The total number of available spaces within this residence will depend on the number of undergraduate residents who elect to live on campus during Spring 2021.
- Among the many benefits of living in the Graduate Tower at Site 4:
- Building and Group Preferences: Applicants who would like to amend their previously-submitted housing and/or group preferences may do so within their MyHousing portal until Monday, December 14 at 12:00 pm ET. Students requesting to be assigned as part of a group are reminded to rank building preferences in the same order as all other group members.
- Doubles and Roommates: The high volume of Spring 2021 Housing Applications confirmed that up to 35 percent of undergraduates will be assigned to double room accommodations. If you are interested in living in a double accommodation, please make sure your application submission reflects your housing preference. Residents may now preference a group member as their roommate within the application which will be considered as part of the in-house room assignment process. Students who are not part of a group may also enter the name of another student. Please note that roommate preferences submitted through the housing application, as well as single and double room preferences, cannot be guaranteed.
- Potential for Future Housing Adjustments: The previously-scheduled Building Placement Switch Lottery will not take place in order to provide Room Assignment Chairs (RACs) and House Teams adequate time to perform room assignments according to the updated housing timeline announced in my prior message. Students, however, may amend their housing preferences until Monday, December 14. It may become necessary for HRS to reassign building placements in early January to balance the distribution of residents across the houses.
Housing & Residential Services (HRS) will make every effort to meet students’ residence hall preferences, however, there is a possibility that a student may receive an assignment in any of the available residences based on space availability. Results of the building placement will be shared by the end of this month along with additional details about move-in weekend (February 13-15) and other pre-arrival items. Please visit the HRS webpage for Spring 2021 housing updates and email your housing-related questions by emailing email@example.com.
Associate Dean and Director for Residential Services and Operations
Housing & Residential Service