Fall 2020 Building Assignment Information
July 30, 2020
We are excited to welcome you back to campus for Fall 2020! As you start planning your move to campus, there are several important details and reminders that we’d like to share with you. This is the first of several informational messages you’ll receive leading up to your move to campus this fall.
First, let’s start with what you’ve been waiting for-- your Fall 2020 building assignment and assigned move-in time! After reviewing your submitted preferences, as well as on-campus housing availability for the fall, we are pleased to inform you that you have been assigned to live in:
[ Residence Hall ] [Date/Time]
Please take a moment to carefully review all of the important information in this email. Helpful FAQs are on the HRS housing dashboard and a housing timeline for the month of August is available below, though here are some key pieces of information to get you started:
- Deadline to Sign Fall 2020 Undergraduate Housing License Agreement: We are requiring all students living in on-campus housing during Fall 2020 to sign the license agreement available through the MyHousing portal by Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:59 pm EDT.
- Canceling Your Housing Assignment: If you would like to cancel your housing assignment (even after signing the license agreement linked above), please complete the cancellation form within the MyHousing portal. You may cancel your assignment at any time before August 28 without penalty. HRS will continue to remain as flexible as possible to meet students’ housing needs.
- COVID-19 Student Policies: MIT is committed to helping protect the health and safety of all residents, faculty and staff. Please familiarize yourself with the COVID-19 policies located on the HRS website. These policies, in addition to pre-existing housing policies, will govern student life in undergraduate residences during your time on campus. For regular updates from the Institute regarding COVID-19, please click here.
- Housing Rates: As described within a recent FAQ published by the Institute, all undergraduate rooms will be converted to single occupancy, however, rates will be set at the 2020-2021 double-room rate for each house. The double-room housing rates correspond with the respective tier of the residence hall and apply to the period of time students are expected to be on campus (see semester housing dates below).
- Fall Semester Housing Dates: On-campus undergraduate housing for the Fall 2020 semester begins on your move-in date (either August 29 or August 30) and runs through November 22, 2020 at 12:00 noon. Students who are unable to travel home by November 22 due to extenuating circumstances will be able to apply to stay on campus for the remainder of the semester (information about this program will be provided during the semester). If your request to remain on campus for the remainder of the semester is granted, you will be responsible for additional housing and dining charges for the extended period.
- Student Departure Plan: If circumstances require the emergency closure of MIT’s campus, all of us need to be prepared. As such, MIT is requiring all undergraduate students living on campus this fall to complete a non-binding departure plan within the MyHousing portal by August 15, 2020 at 11:59 pm EDT. Please don’t worry-- you can amend your departure plan information at a later date!
- Residential Pods & Your Community: Whether you’ve lived on campus before or not, you may have some questions about the ‘new normal’ and life inside your on-campus home this fall. The live-in Area Director (AD) for your residence hall is happy to help with answering questions about what it’s like to live in the building (or would like to just say hello and to get to know you!). To contact your AD, please email [AD Email]. You will also be receiving additional information about forming ‘residential pods’ during the month of August-- for now, please take a peek at the pod FAQ on the Fall 2020 housing dashboard for additional information.
As President Reif described in a message to the MIT community, life on campus this fall will be different than usual. We’re all in this together and HRS staff are here to help you every step of the way. If the HRS team can be helpful with answering your housing-related inquiries, please take a peek at the housing dashboard for regular updates or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of House Operations
Housing & Residential Services
IMPORTANT HOUSING DATES
- Deadline to sign your Fall 2020 Undergraduate Housing License Agreement (at 11:59 pm EDT) through the MyHousing portal (agreement is located under the Fall 2020 header).
- Helpful tip: Your housing license agreement is different from the COVID-19 Student and Resident Campus Agreement which you will also be required to sign prior to arriving on campus (you will receive additional information about this).
- Individual room assignments, coordinated by student Room Assignment Chairs (RAC) and House Teams, will be communicated by HRS to all students who are living on campus during Fall 2020. The RAC for your residence hall will be provided with your building assignment information tomorrow and you can expect to hear from your RAC in the coming week.
- Deadline to complete the Student Departure Plan within the MyHousing portal. This form, which is non-binding, is required for all undergraduate students living on campus during Fall 2020.
August 29 & 30
- Undergraduate students move onto campus during their assigned move-in date and time (please see above for your assigned date and time). You will receive additional information during the month of August about move-in logistics. To help facilitate Covid-19 testing requirements, and a physically-distanced move-in, MIT expects that students will arrive to campus during their assigned move-in time. If you have an extenuating circumstance that delays your arrival, please email email@example.com with the Subject Line: “Arrival Adjustment”.
- Helpful Tip: As you start thinking about move-in, we encourage you to pack lightly, and to bring only those essential items that you will need for the time you will be on campus.
- Stored Belongings: If you stored belongings prior to departing campus in March, we will help reconnect you with your items. Belongings stored by Piece by Piece Movers in March will be transported to your new room assignment upon your arrival. If you will need to retrieve belongings from in-house storage or a house-sponsored PODS container, you will work with your House Team after you check in. There will be moving staff on-hand during Move-In Weekend to assist you and to promote physical distancing throughout the move-in process. As noted above, additional move-in logistics are forthcoming.