Covid-19 Resident Testing Requirements
September 1, 2020
We are writing to share several important reminders regarding Covid-19 testing, and to offer further clarification for residents who are currently self-quarantining.
According to the Institute’s testing protocol, ALL MIT residents are required to receive a Covid-19 test twice per week. Once enrolled in the Institute’s health monitoring system, Covid Pass, you should automatically receive testing reminders, as well as notifications regarding the daily health attestation requirement. Please visit the Covid Pass informational page for the most up-to-date Covid-19 testing times available through MIT Medical.
Graduate residents are required to receive a diagnostic Covid-19 test from MIT Medical within 24 hours of arriving on campus. Residents are then required to receive a second Covid-19 test approximately sevens days later and remain in self-quarantine throughout this period until a second negative test is confirmed. Please follow the twice-per-week testing prompts from Covid Pass only after your second Covid-19 test.
Residents who have already completed the self-quarantine period need to remember that they must receive a Covid-19 test from MIT Medical twice a week. See example testing schedules below:
- Tested Thursday, August 27 or earlier? Test as soon as possible and again no later than Monday, September 7, 2020.
- Tested Friday, August 28? Please test as soon as possible and again no later than Monday, September 7, 2020.
- Tested Saturday, August 29? Please test Thursday, September 3 and Monday, September 7, 2020.
- Tested Sunday, August 30? Please test Friday, September 4 and Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
If you are an undergraduate resident who arrived during move-in weekend (August 29 and August 30), please follow the testing schedule below (note that you may receive an automated reminder to test earlier, but you should follow the schedule below):
- Residents who received their first Covid-19 test on Saturday, August 29 will receive their second Covid-19 test at MIT Medical on Thursday, September 3.
- Residents who received their first test on Sunday, August 30 will receive their second Covid-19 test at MIT Medical on Friday, September 4.
After your second Covid-19 test, you will begin the twice-per-week testing regimen. This means residents testing on Thursday, September 3 will test again on Monday September 7, 2020. Students who received their second test on Friday September 4 will test again on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Thereafter, please follow the directions from Covid Pass.
Residents who arrived after move-in weekend are required to receive a diagnostic Covid-19 test from MIT Medical upon arrival to campus. Newly-arrived students should then self-quarantine for seven days until their second negative Covid-19 test is confirmed. Please follow the twice-per-week testing prompts from Covid Pass only after your second Covid-19 test.
Make Testing Part of Your Weekly Routine
We suggest residents add recurring meetings about testing and daily attestations to their calendar as helpful reminders about these requirements. Please visit the Covid Pass webpage for further information and helpful tips.
Senior Associate Dean
Senior Associate Dean
Housing & Residential Services