Building-to-Building Transfers

Thinking about changing buildings?

Alright, so you like living on campus, but think another residence hall may be a better fit?  We’ve got you covered!  The Building-to-Building Transfer process was created to help full-time, degree-seeking graduate residents change residence halls.
Below, please find important information about the process and eligibility criteria.  Visit our Dates & Deadlines webpage for key dates, including the application period.  

If you’re happy living in your current community but are interested in an alternative room assignment, check out our internal transfer webpage which contains everything you need to know about how the room change process works in each house.

Before you participate in the Building-to-Building Transfer process, please take a moment to consider all of your housing options.  MIT offers a variety of housing types at different price points to give graduate students more choice.   

Keep in mind that the Building-to-Building Transfer process is binding, which means that if you apply and receive an alternate housing assignment, you’ll be committed to moving there.  The key takeaway? Please make sure that your transfer application accurately reflects where you actually want to live.   

  • Only fully-registered single graduate students with a current on-campus housing assignment (in 70 Amherst Street, Ashdown House, Edgerton House, Graduate Tower at Site 4, Sidney-Pacific, Tang Hall, the Warehouse, and Westgate) are eligible for the transfer process.

  • Residents not eligible for this process include undergraduates currently living in graduate housing, postdocs, visiting students and other visitors.

  • Families who wish to transfer buildings should see the Family Transfer Policies. Residents wishing to move from Family to Single Housing should enter the Spring Housing Self-Selection process and contact the Graduate Housing Office to discuss their situation.

  • Students in Single Housing looking to transfer to Family Housing must enter the Spring Housing Self-Selection Process.

Please note that this is a binding process and you will be required to accept a building transfer if you receive an offer.  Also, please keep in mind:

  • Failure to accept an offer by the stated deadline will result in a $250 cancellation fee and may result in the loss of your housing with a move-out date at the end of the calendar year.

  • If you do not receive a building transfer offer, you will remain in your current assignment.

  • Transferring does not change your new or continuing student status or the terms of your license agreement.

  • If you receive an assignment, you will be assigned a move date between your earliest requested move date and mid-January. You must move out of your old assignment by your move date and into your new assignment on or after this date.

  • If you are going to be away, please arrange for your current room to be vacant before your move date or for someone to move out your belongings from your current room by the move date. Only you can check into your new assignment.

  • Billing will be continuous, regardless of your occupancy of your new and old apartments. Your billing will change to reflect your new rent and address on your scheduled move date.

  • Failure to check-out by your assigned move date will result in a $595 Late Stay Fee.

To apply for the Building-to-Building Transfer process, please submit the appropriate webform within your Housing Portal.  A link to the "Graduate Building-to-Building Transfer Request" form will be available in the portal during the application period. 



Interested in connecting with the team at Housing & Residential Services (HRS)? Please visit our contact webpage to learn about how you can contact HRS, including drop-in virtual office hours.