BUILDING EVACUATION PROCEDURE
In the unlikely event of a fire or other need for a building evacuation, pease observe the following building evacuation procedure:
- Select the nearest exit
- Please wear your face covering (everyone)
- Do not take the elevator
- Activate the manual fire alarm if not already sounding
- Travel along the right-hand side of corridors and stairwells
- If you were unable to grab a mask, turn away from others passing to limit exposure.
- If possible, direct yourself to the designated assembly locations* for your building (indoor or outdoor), and away from fire lanes.
- Do not stand in front of the building entrance. Firefighters require easy access to the building.
- If there is inclement weather, take shelter in nearby buildings wherever possible and maintain proper distance.
- Once the Cambridge Fire Department or MIT housing staff give the ‘all clear,’ you may return to your room.
*Assembly locations are reported on the Emergency Evacuation Plan posted on each floor next to elevators and stairs.
If you have any questions about evacuation procedures, please do not hesitate to contact Division of Student Life (DSL) Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Program Manager, Alice Ursella, via e-mail at email@example.com or via phone at (617) 253-4257 or the EHS Office at (617) 452-3477.