This is a brief summary of the necessary steps to request return as an undergraduate. Students requesting return from a Leave of Absence (LOA) should consult the Returning from Leave of Absence (LOA) page and checklist for details and processes.
1. Note Return Request deadlines:
- Fall term deadline: June 15
- Spring term deadline : November 15
- To ensure that the Committee on Academic Performance has the most up to date information about your time away, request to return forms will be accepted no earlier than June 1 for the Fall term and November 1 for the Spring term.
- Decisions will be emailed on or around August 10 for a Fall return or January 10 for a Spring return.
2. Complete the
- Ensure that your name is on all materials.
- Email all request to return materials to: email@example.com.
3. After you have submitted your completed request, call 617-253-4861 to schedule an appointment with your S3 dean.
4. Note Financial Aid deadlines
- An application for financial aid must be submitted by April 15, prior to the intended academic year of return.
- To apply for financial aid, contact Student Financial Aid (617-253-4971). Aid will be disbursed when you are readmitted.
5. Check to make sure you are financially cleared to return to MIT
- Contact Student Financial Services (617-258-8600) to resolve any student account or loan holds.
6. International students must contact the International Students Office.
- You will need to send in a new financial certification form.
- The ISO must update your certificate of eligibility before your return to MIT.
- Please contact the International Students Office (617-253-3795) for more information.
7. Develop a plan for housing if your request to return has been approved.
- Currently, on-campus housing cannot be guaranteed for students returning from leave. If you are interested in on-campus housing, you should fill out a Return From Leave Housing Application. The form can be found at: https://odysseyhms-web.mit.edu/hmswebstudent/. Contact MIT Housing with any questions (617-253-2811).
- If you are considering housing with an FSILG, please contact the fraternity, sorority, or independent living group in which you would like to live. Please keep in mind that space may be limited and housing cannot be guaranteed. Contact the FSILG office (617-253-7546) with any questions.
- For assistance and advice on your off-campus housing search, please contact the MIT Off-campus Housing Service, (617-253-4449)
8. Submit an updated Medical Report form.
- If you took a leave from MIT over 12 months ago, you are required to submit updated information to MIT Medical. See http://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/medreport.pdf for more information.