Returning from Leave of Absence (LOA)
All students should to speak with one of the S3 Deans as they plan to return from a Leave of Absence. Please be sure you have completed all tasks on the Return from Leave of Absence Checklist below before you complete the online Leave of Absence (LOA) Return Request Form.
Note: If you have been away from MIT for more than 4 semesters, you should complete the
Deadlines to Request Return from Leave of Absence
- Fall term deadline: June 15
- Spring term deadline: November 15
Return from Leave of Absence Checklist
1. Note Financial Aid deadlines
- An application for financial aid much be submitted by April 15, prior to the intended academic year of return.
- To apply for financial aid, contact Student Financial Aid (617-253-4971). Aid will be disbursed when your return is processed.
2. Check to make sure you are financially cleared to return to MIT - Contact Student Financial Services (617-258-8600) to resolve any student account or loan holds.
3. International students must contact the International Students Office.
- You will need to send in a new financial certification form.
- The ISO must update your certificate of eligibility before your return to MIT.
- Please contact the International Students Office (617-253-3795) for more information.
4. Develop a plan for housing
- Currently, on-campus housing cannot be guaranteed for students returning from leave. If you are interested in on-campus housing you should fill out a Return From Leave Housing Application. The form can be found at: https://odysseyhms-web.mit.edu/hmswebstudent/. Contact MIT Housing with any questions (617-253-2811).
- If you are considering housing with an FSILG, please contact the fraternity, sorority, or independent living group in which you would like to live. Please keep in mind that space may be limited and housing cannot be guaranteed. Contact the FSILG office (617-253-7546) with any questions.
- For assistance and advice on your off-campus housing search, please contact the MIT Off-campus Housing Service, (617-253-4449).
5. Submit an updated Medical Report form.
- If you took a leave from MIT over 12 months ago, you are required to submit updated information to MIT Medical. See http://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/medreport.pdf for more information.
6. Contact your advisor/academic department and any one else you think should be notified of your return (e.g., athletic coach, UROP Supervisor, GRT).
7. Complete the online Leave of Absence (LOA) Return Request Form.