Engagement (ACE) with FUP
The best way to start at MIT
Before classes begin—even before orientation—we offer a dynamic program to help you start your MIT career memorably and with impact. It’s called the Active Community Engagement (ACE) with FUP (the freshman urban program), and it’s an engaging, action-oriented, service-focused introduction to MIT and surrounding communities.
How ACE works
ACE is a five-day celebration of community service and urban exploration. Volunteer with other first-year students on projects that help strengthen our neighborhood. Participate in activities and discussions that delve into social issues such as inequality, privilege, and hunger in America. And develop valuable friendships while discovering local resources that will support you during the school year and beyond.
MIT upperclassmen plan and train throughout the spring and summer to be FUP coordinators and counselors, then lead the ACE program in the fall.
ACE is about community
- Preparing food at soup kitchens and homeless shelters
- Sorting food donations at the Greater Boston Food Bank
- Organizing school supplies for an educational organization
- Volunteering at community health and art centers
ACE is about exploration
- Engage in activities that explore hunger, gender, and cultural issues
- Learn from locals about the social issues facing our community
- Get the inside scoop on surviving and thriving at MIT from a team of student counselors
ACE is about fun
- Explore the best of Cambridge and Boston’s fascinating neighborhoods
- Eat froyo, explore the neighborhood, and watch movies together
Talk to us about Active Community Engagement (ACE with FUP)
Office: Building W20-549
Phone: (617) 253-8968
Events and deadlines
Tuesday Aug 21 – Sunday Aug 26, 2018
ACE with FUP 2018 Counselor Application
The deadline to apply to be a FUP Counselor has been extended to Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 5 pm.
ACE Counselors must be available for several dates throughout the spring and summer including:
|ACE Counselor Meeting #1||Tuesday, March 13, 7 -8 pm|
|ACE Counselor Meeting #2||Tuesday, April 10, 7-8 pm|
|ACE Counselor Meeting #3||Tuesday, April 24, 7-8 pm|
|End of Semester ACE Counselor Dinner||Tuesday, May 8, 7-8 pm|
|ACE Counselor Training and ACE||Saturday, August 18 – Sunday, August 26|