Immerse yourself in the field of public healthcare
PKG IAP: Healthcare Immersion
You don’t have to wait until graduation to support healthcare in Boston. Through PKG IAP, our one-month immersion program, you can support local medical efforts by collaborating with practitioners in the field. You’ll provide meaningful public service, implement specific projects, and learn about policy and practice in the United States.
When you participate in PKG IAP:
- Students and clients benefit from your passion for learning and service
- Practitioners benefit from your energy, insights and projects
- You benefit from the opportunity to develop your project-implementation and client-based skills while learning firsthand about the challenges facing the US healthcare system.
How it works
- Spend four weeks in January volunteering full-time with the Boston Medical Center or another local health center.
- PKG IAP: Healthcare Immersion will provide you with on-the-ground experience in the field. You will observe professionals, collaborate with fellow students to serve clients, and work on specifically assigned projects based on your skills and the needs of the host organization.
- This program pairs MIT students with practitioners in behavioral healthcare at Boston Medical Center (BMC). The PKG Center is also currently investigating additional possible local healthcare partnerships.
- You will stay on campus or in their off-campus housing.
- We pay your travel expenses, provide a stipend, and help with the cost of materials.
- You attend Four mandatory workshops in November and December to prepare you to consult with your host and implement your project.
- During IAP you also participate in weekly community dinners with your cohort of MIT students to share and process your experience in the field.
Challenge yourself with a deep dive into medical practice.
Talk to us about PKG IAP
Events and deadlines
Info session I
- When: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7pm,
- Where: Rm 4-149
Info session II
- When: Monday, October 16, 2017 at 7 pm
- Where: Rm 5-134
Friday, October 27, 2017 by midnight
Mandatory preparation meetings:
- When: Mondays – Nov 20, Nov 27, Dec 4, Dec 11
- 7-8:30 pm
- PKG IAP: Monday, Jan 8, 2018 – Friday, Feb 2, 2018
- End of Program Reflection Dinner: Monday, February 12, 2018, 7-9 pm