Immerse yourself in the field of public healthcare
PKG IAP: Healthcare Immersion
You don’t have to wait until graduation to support healthcare in Boston. Through PKG IAP, our one-month immersion program, you can support local medical efforts by collaborating with practitioners in the field. You’ll provide meaningful public service, implement specific projects, and learn about policy and practice in the United States.
When you participate in PKG IAP:
- Students and clients benefit from your passion for learning and service
- Practitioners benefit from your energy, insights and projects
- You benefit from the opportunity to develop your project-implementation and client-based skills while learning firsthand about the challenges facing the US healthcare system.
How it works
- Spend four weeks in January volunteering full-time with the Boston Medical Center or another local health center.
- PKG IAP: Healthcare Immersion will provide you with on-the-ground experience in the field. You will observe professionals, collaborate with fellow students to serve clients, and work on specifically assigned projects based on your skills and the needs of the host organization.
- This program pairs MIT students with healthcare practitioners at Boston Medical Center. The PKG Center is also currently investigating additional possible healthcare partnerships. Our partners seek students with a wide variety of skills; this experience is open to students across courses at MIT with an interest in the health field broadly.
- We pay your travel expenses, provide a stipend, and help with the cost of materials.
- You attend Four mandatory workshops in November and December to prepare you to consult with your host and implement your project.
- During IAP you also participate in weekly community dinners with your cohort of MIT students to share and process your experience in the field.
Challenge yourself with a deep dive into medical practice.
Talk to us about PKG IAP
Events and deadlines
Info session I
- When: Tuesday, September 18 at 6pm
- Where: 5-134
Info session II
- When: Thursday, October 11 from 12-2pm (drop in)
- Where: 66-144
Info session III
- When: Monday, October 15 at 6pm
- Where: 5-233
Friday, October 19, 2018 by 11:59pm
Mandatory preparation meetings:
- Kickoff Dinner: Tuesday, November 13 7pm in 5-217
- Trainings: Mondays November 26, December 3, December 10
- 7-8:30 pm in 5-233
- PKG IAP: Monday, January 7, 2019 – Friday, February 1, 2019
- End of Program Reflection Dinner: Friday, February 1, 2019, 3-5 pm