Four Weeks for
Immerse yourself in STEM education or medicine during IAP
You don’t have to wait until graduation to support healthcare in Boston or STEM education nationally. Through Four Weeks for America, our one-month immersion program, you can make a difference in the education or medical world by collaborating with practitioners in the field. You’ll provide meaningful public service, implement specific projects and learn about policy and practice in the United States.
When you participate in Four Weeks for America:
- Students and clients benefit from your passion for learning and service
- Practitioners benefit from your energy, insights and projects
- You benefit from the opportunity to develop your project-implementation and client-based skills while learning firsthand about the challenges facing the US education or healthcare system.
In fact, Four Weeks for America has been such a success that the national Teach For America program has expanded our model to other colleges.
How it works
- Spend four weeks in January working and living with a Teach for America host teacher, or volunteering full-time with the Boston Medical Center.
- You can apply to either our education or medical track programs based on your interest.
- Both the education and medical tracks will provide you with on-the-ground experience in the field. You will observe work with students and clients and work on specific projects based on host based on your skill and the needs of the host organization.
- The education track pairs MIT students with host teachers through Teach For America.
- The medical track pairs MIT students with practitioners in behavioral healthcare at Boston Medical Center (BMC).
- Students assigned to volunteer with BMC will stay on campus or in their off-campus housing. Students assigned to serve with Teach for America will stay with host teachers at their homes.
- We pay your travel expenses, a food stipend, and help with the cost of materials.
- Four mandatory training sessions in November and December prepare you to consult with your host and plan your project and travel details.
Challenge yourself with a deep dive into education and medical practice.
Talk to us about Four Weeks for America
Events and deadlines
Info session I
When: Tuesday, September 9, 6 pm
Info session II
When: Monday, October 17, 6 pm
Mandatory preparation meetings:
When: Mondays — Nov 14, Nov 21, Nov 28, Dec 05
7 – 8:30 pm