Trainings and Workshops
Conflict Resolution@MIT offers many educational options - conflict skills workshops, conflict management and mediation training, and customized workshops. Detailed information is below. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conflict Management Training
Conflict Resolution@MIT offers a three-tiered conflict management training for all MIT affiliates biannually, in IAP and June. The training is tiered at 16-hour, 32-hour, and 40-hour levels, and will take place over the course of two weeks. The details are as follows:
Tier 1: Conflict Management for Self-Reflection (16 hours total)
- Tier 1 consists of 16 hours of conflict management training for those interested in learning more about their own orientation towards and engagement in conflict. The sessions provide tools and practice for engaging in conflict more efficiently and effectively. Topics include negotiation, active listening, cultural frameworks, and personal conflict style. Sessions for Tier 1 are Monday through Thursday of week 1.
Tier 2: Conflict Management for Leadership (32 hours total)
- Training for Leadership, the second tier in the Conflict Management training, requires the successful completion of the entirety of Tier 1, and is an additional 16 hours of in-class time. Topics include conflict coaching, active bystander intervention, facilitation, and boundary-setting when supporting others. Completion of Tier 1 is required for entrance into Tier 2; sessions for Tier 2 include Monday through Thursday of week 1 and add Monday through Thursday of week 2.
Tier 3: Conflict Management for Advanced Practice (40 hours total)
- Tier 3 is the entire 40-hour training, which includes Training for Self-Reflection and Training for Leadership, and adds an additional 8 hours of formal mediation instruction and practice. Participants will be coached throughout the Advanced Practice sessions by professional mediators and coaches. Additional sessions will be held on two consecutive Fridays, from 8:30am to 12:30pm, January 24th and 31st. At the end of the entire training, participants will receive a Mediation certificate. Completion of Tier 2 is required for entrance into Tier 3. Tier 3 takes place Monday through Friday for weeks 1 and 2.
Please note that attendance at all sessions is mandatory. Certificates will be given for successful completion of each tier.
All tiers are open to MIT affiliates. There is no charge for current students. A graduated fee applies to all faculty, staff, and others affiliated with MIT. Non-MIT affiliates please inquire for training rates. MIT affiliates will be given priority. Those applying to become REFS must complete the training at the Tier 3 level.
The next training will be run June 9th through 20th, 2014. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Custom, Tailored Workshops
We can provide custom, tailored workshops. If you are a student group, department groups, dorms, FSLIG contact us and we will work with you to serve your needs. We can come for an hour, half a day, all day, two days...
Past workshops have included:
One or Two day conflict resolution skills workshops:
- Conflict and what influences conflict
- Active Listening
- Unpacking conflict
- Interest-based negotiation
- Facilitated conversation process
One to three hour workshops
- Active Listening
- Fundamentals of Interest Based Negotiation
- Listening for Problem Solving
- Giving and Receiving Constructive Feedback
- Having a Difficult Conversation
- Being an Active Bystander
- Working in Teams
If you would like to discuss a custom workshop with us, please email ConflictResolution@mit.edu.