Welcome to MIT!
How early can I move in for the fall semester?
- First-year students enrolled in an FPOP will move in on Tuesday, August 20, 2019. All other first-year students will move in on Saturday, August 24, 2019. (IMPORTANT: All first-year students will receive a designated move-in time over the summer. Please plan accordingly.)
- Some students may return earlier in accordance with the early return policies and procedures.
- Returning residents without an approved early return may move into their rooms on the weekend prior to the fall term Registration Day.
When do the residence halls close?
- Once MIT residence halls open for the academic year, they stay open. They do not close for holidays, IAP, or spring break. However, residence halls are closed for the summer.
How late can I move out at the end of the spring semester?
- Occupancy ends by 12 p.m. the day after final exams conclude.
- If you do not vacate and check out of your assignment according to official occupancy dates, you will be charged a fee and may have your belongings removed.
- Under special circumstances, Housing & Residential Services may approve other requests to occupy rooms beyond the official occupancy dates, but you must request—and receive—permission in advance.