Change or Cancel Your Assignment
We understand that your housing plans may change. You'll find more information below about cancelling or changing your assignment.
Application and Self-selection Process
- Before the self-selection process begins, you can remove your application at any time without penalty.
- If you get to the self-selection process and do not find an apartment you like, you can remove yourself from the process at any time.
If you selected a unit during the self-selection process and then decide to cancel, you will be charged a $250 cancellation fee whether or not you confirmed your license agreement.
If you have already confirmed your license agreement and would like to cancel your assignment, you must notify Housing & Residential Services of the cancellation in writing at least 30 days before your scheduled move-in date. You will pay a $250 fee if:
- you cancel your accepted assignment 30 days prior to your scheduled move-in date
- you cancel with less than 30-days' notice (you will also be responsible for rent on the apartment you selected in addition to the $250 cancellation fee)
If You Decide Not to Attend MIT
You must notify Housing & Residential Services in writing if you decide not to attend MIT. Your academic department will not do this for you.
- A building-to-building transfer process and internal room swap is held for students in single housing who wish to transfer to a vacancy in another building or switch rooms with another student.
- If you would like to transfer between single and family housing, you can apply through the spring or fall self-selection application or join the waiting list, depending on when you are applying and/or when you need to transfer.