ATIC maintains an inventory of assistive technology selected specifically for the MIT community to try out and use. We will demonstrate these technologies to anyone at MIT.
On this page:
- Mobile Applications
- Math Software
- Mouse Clicking Software
- Operating System Accessibility Options
- Organizational Tools (Diagramming)
- Reading Software
- Screen Reading
- Speech Recognition
- Text Scanning and OCR Software
Apps for iOS (iPhones and iPads) and Android phones and tablets. Visit the App Store or Google Play to browse apps for your device.
- Math Talk software can be used with Scientific Notebook and Dragon Naturally Speaking to speak math notation expressions into Scientific Notebook.
- MathType Equation Editor allows math to be entered into Word in a format that is easily converted to accessible formats (large print and audio)
- Infty Reader software recognizes and converts math text into usable electronic formats, such as Latex, XML and MathML.
- MathML the standard markup language for mathematics on the web
- iPad apps: Read2Go, VoiceDream
- Central Access Reader
- Kurzweil 1000 (Windows only)
- Kurzweil 3000 (available to MIT students and staff for free on the IS&T software grid)
Screen reading software applications identify the text being displayed on a computer screen and convert the text to audio. This allows blind and visually-impaired individuals to hear what is being displayed on a computer screen.
- JAWS for Windows
- VoiceOver for Mac (built into OS X)
- Emacspeak for Linux
- Orca for GNOME
- NVDA (Windows only)
All speech recognition software packages transcribe spoken language to written text. They require a voice profile for each individual and minimal training using a microphone.
- Dragon for Windows includes many features beyond text dictation: voice commands that allow for "hands-free" operation of the computer, transcription of recorded audio, and commands to surf the web.
- Utter Command for Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro, is an add-on for NaturallySpeaking that uses an intuitive speech command system and set of applets to speed computer control across all programs. Utter Command lets you speak in command phrases, enables the commandline interface, allows you to place and click the mouse using a single speech command and allows you to go directly to a file, folder, website or keyword using a single command.
- Windows Speech Recognition comes standard with the Windows 10 operating system. It works best with Microsoft applications.
- Mac dictation and command features come standard in the Mac OS X operating system.
Text scanning software converts paper based print material or computer based image files and performs OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to convert them to text. Users can read the text files with screen reading software, magnification, or other adaptive technologies.
- Kurzweil 1000 and 3000 software allows the user to scan printed pages or image files, converts them to text and reads them out loud to the user. Kurzweil 3000 also has additional study tools such as highlighting, note taking, reading the web, dictionary and thesaurus.
- Omnipage software converts paper and computer based image files (TIFFs, PDFs) into text files that can be used with screen reading software.