We are here for students.
We are here for students. We come together for a common educational purpose: to help our diverse community of students thrive intellectually, physically, spiritually, and personally.
How we fulfill our misson: We partner with students, faculty, and staff to develop enriching environments and experiences that promote students’ knowledge, wellbeing, independence, and accountability. As educators, we facilitate opportunities for learning more about ourselves and others, developing the capacity for human understanding and problem solving in creative and innovative ways. We support students in discovering a sense of purpose, fulfillment, and joy. We call upon members of our community to serve locally, nationally, and globally. We foster a safe and inclusive MIT campus and sense of belonging for all. We value shared-governance and collaboration, and lead with integrity, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement. (November 21, 2016)
These high-level priorities emerged through a consultative process involving the entire Division of Student Life. There is a great deal of additional work going on in numerous units throughout DSL that are not highlighted here, but are important to students, the division, and the MIT community.
Goal 1: Lead with Integrity, Innovation, and a Commitment to Continuous Improvement
- Initiative 1: Update DSL mission, develop goals and align staff to carry out mission [VP/DSL]
- Initiative 2: Institute Staff Engagement Advisory Board [DSL-wide]
Goal 2: Enhance Physical Spaces to Provide a Supportive, Sustainable, and Safe Campus Environment
- Initiative 1: Relocate New House students, build ~700 beds, renew existing housing [Admin & Operations]
- Initiative 2: Enhance residential spaces, Walker, and the Student Center [Admin & Operations]
- Initiative 3: Complete studies and estimating for Pierce Boathouse and Rockwell Cage [DAPER]
Goal 3: Create a Welcoming and Enriching Campus Community for All
- Initiative 1: Develop a diversity and inclusion plan for the division [DSL-wide]
Goal 4: Further Students’ Holistic Development and Wellbeing
- Initiative 1: Develop a CARE team [SS&W]
- Initiative 2: Partner with house teams to coordinate student support services effectively [RE & SS&W]
- Initiative 3: Advance efforts to educate faculty in supporting students in distress [SS&W]
Goal 5: Cultivate Active Learning, Social Responsibility, and Ethical Leadership
- Initiative 1: Successfully implement the turnaround team in Senior House [VP/DSL & Chancellor]
- Initiative 2: Develop faculty mentors and a Resident Peer Mentor program [RE]
- Initiative 3: Partner with faculty to explore curricular connections with public service and community engagement [PKG]
- Initiative 4: Expand pathways to new modes and depth of engagement around social change (social innovation, direct service, philanthropy) and topical areas (health, environment, education) [PKG]